Carol Stillman - PT, DPT Owner, Physical Therapist
Carol founded Sutton Place Physical and Aquatic Therapy in 1998. Her personal mission is to ensure patients of all ages receive personalized care so they improve their health and overall well-being. Carol earned a Bachelor of Science degree in physical therapy from Ithaca College, a Master of Science degree from the University of Southern California and most recently a Post Professional DPT from Evidence in Motion (EIM). She has served as Director of Physical Therapy at Doctors Memorial and Charter Peachford Hospitals in Atlanta. Carol continues to expand her knowledge base and has expertise in pre and post-operative orthopedics, foot and ankle injuries, osteoporosis, fall prevention spine, pediatrics, older adults, sports medicine, aquatic physical therapy and breast cancer rehabilitation. In 2011, Carol was certified by The Hospital for Special Surgery (HSS) as an advanced hip clinician. She is a certified Pelvic Health Physical Therapist. Carol has been a speaker for the American Physical Therapy Association (APTA), the American Hospital Association, the New York Road Runners, Excelsior Health Club, The Arthritis Foundation and New York University. She has also been interviewed on SIRIUS radio for “Dr. Health” discussing Fall Prevention and Osteoporosis.
Currently, Carol is a member of the American Physical Therapy Association (APTA). Carol enjoys skiing, pilates, reading , taking culinary classes , travel and being a Mom to two active boys! Email Carol at Carol@suttonplacept.net
Continuing Education Coursework:
- Aquatic Therapy and Rehabilitation Institution Conference
- Certified Pelvic Health Physical Therapist- Evidence in Motion
- Herman and Wallace Pelvic Floor Function, Dysfunction and Treatment Level 1
- Mulligan Mobilizations with Movement
- Institute of Physical Art Functional Orthopedics One
- Essentials of Medical Screening
- Essentials of Pharmacology and Clinical Lab Tests
- Essentials of Musculoskeletal Imaging
- Management of Lumbopelvic Disorders
- Sexuality Considerations
Ben Musselman - PT, DPT Senior Physical Therapist
Dr. Ben Musselman received his Doctorate in Physical Therapy from Hunter College (City University of New York Graduate Center) and his Bachelor's Degree in Business Administration from Eastern Mennonite University. Ben has been treating patients with orthopedic, neurologic, gait and balance and vestibular diagnoses at Sutton Place Physical and Aquatic Therapy for over 7 years. The therapy he provides is grounded in a Maitland manual therapy and assessment based approach. This approach emphasizes hands on mobilization of muscles and joints guided by extensive communication between patient and therapist. This approach fits well with Sutton Place Physical and Aquatic Therapy’s one on one structured treatment sessions. Ben has studied this approach through extensive continuing education coursework in the discipline. Ben integrates into this approach some of the key therapeutic components of yoga, such as breathing, total body alignment, and mindfulness that he has learned though Threes Physiyoga, and Ashtanga Yoga Shala workshop coursework, and from his own personal practice of yoga.
As a Senior Physical Therapist, Ben continues to contribute to a culture of professional excellence and commitment to patient success.
Contact Ben at Ben@suttonplacept.net
Continuing Education Coursework:
- Maitland-Australian Physiotherapy: MT-1 Essential Peripheral
- Maitland-Australian Physiotherapy: MT-2 Essential Spinal
- Maitland-Australian Physiotherapy: MT-3 Intermediate Spinal
- Maitland-Australian Physiotherapy: MT-ST Stabilization Training and Functional Rehabilitation
- Maitland-Australian Physiotherapy: MT-O Evidenced Based Diagnostic Orthopedic Evaluation
- Maitland-Australian Physiotherapy: MT-4 Differential Assessment and Clinical reasoning
- Maitland Geriatric Manual Therapy: MT-G Geriatric Manual Therapy
- ThreesPhysio: Introduction to the Physioyoga Global Method for physical therapists
- Ashtanga Yoga Shala Peter Greve: Ashtanga Yoga and the Movement System
Fanny Chan - PT, DPT Physical Therapist
Fanny Chan earned her Doctorate of Physical Therapy and her Bachelors in Health Sciences from Drexel University. She has experiences in a variety of settings including acute care, outpatient orthopedic and neurological. She has attended the 2019 Christiana Care Annual Neurovascular Symposium, where she learned the latest research on acute CVA care. Fanny has a passion working with patients with various neurological and vestibular disorders and creating programs specific to their needs. During her undergraduate education she spent time volunteering at a pro bono health clinic where she learned the importance of communication in the healing process. She has also volunteered for at Mother Baby Connections working with post-pardum women. In her free time Fanny enjoys trying unique foods finds throughout the city.
Barbara Carbone - PT, MA Physical Therapist
Barbara earned a Bachelor of Science degree in Physical Therapy from Hunter College and a Master of Arts degree in Exercise Physiology from Adelphi University. She has worked in a variety of settings and is experienced in acute care, rehab, outpatient, cardiac rehab, home care, pre and post natal care, and dance medicine. Barbara is a Certified Personal Trainer and a Certified Medical Exercise Specialist. She has taken continuing education courses in Kinesio taping, Shoulder Rehab, Pelvic Floor Treatment, Mulligan NAGS and SNAGS, Exercise for Seniors, Pilates for Rehabilitation, Evidence- Based Examination of the Foot and Ankle, Working with Osteoporosis and Osteopenia, and TheraPilates Mat Class for the Fit Older Adult. It is her passion and belief that movement, proper alignment and skilled exercise are crucial medicine for many clients, and she strives to incorporate optimal fitness goals to all clients, no matter what their fitness level. Barbara has a keen sense of movement, and has studied ballet for most of her life, ran the NYC marathon, participated in triathlons, and is an avid swimmer. She recently joined our team in the newly developed Aquatic Program which is a dream come true for her as a therapist; combining her expertise in rehabilitation and love of the medium of water for exercise and healing. Barbara is a volunteer with Yorkville Youth Athletic Association as a choreographer for youth musical theater productions, and in her spare time enjoys an active lifestyle with swimming, ballet class, running, cooking, music, and spending time with her husband and two grown children. Contact Barbara at Barbara@suttonplacept.net
Continuing Education Coursework:
- Certified Personal Trainer
- Certified Medical Exercise Specialist.
- Certified Kinesio Taping Practitioner®
- Mobilization With Movement: NAGS and SNAGS
- Pelvic Floor Certification
- Exercise for Seniors
- Pilates for Rehabilitation,
- Evidence-Based Examination of the Foot and Ankle
- Working with Osteoporosis and Osteopenia
- TheraPilates Mat Class for the Fit Older Adult
Irene Hernández - MS, PT Physical Therapist
Irene Hernández is a physical therapist specializing in Pelvic Physical Therapy. She is an expert at treating pelvic floor dysfunction, and chronic pelvic pain for men, women, teens and children. She has extensive experience with pregnant and postpartum women and has a special interest in bringing female athletes back to their full potential after pregnancies.
Irene received her Physical Therapy degree in Spain, from Universidad Europea de Madrid, and her postgraduate degree in Urogynecological Physical Therapy from Universidad de Castilla-La Mancha in Spain. She is also a trainer and educator in the use of Indiba Radio Frequency for Orthopedic and Pelvic Physical Therapy.
Irene started her professional life as a Software Engineer. She graduated from a six-year program in Spain, in Universidad Politécnica de Madrid in 1993, and worked in the IT industry for 15 years in Spain and the U.S. However, after exploring the therapeutic solutions to minimize the pain she was experiencing from scoliosis and the pelvic discomfort, she chose to switch careers to something she found more meaningful and become certified in Yoga in the Iyengar Method and study the Somatic body awareness method with Bonnie Bainbridge-Cohen. This knowledge ultimately crystallized her decision to become a Physical Therapist, and later to specialize in Pelvic Physical Therapy.
Irene’s unique approach to physical therapy and pelvic health marries her love of technology and algorithmic decision making with her understanding of the body from the standpoint of improved awareness and sensory experience. Irene enjoys incorporating Yoga and body-mind knowledge into the therapeutic process to help improve body awareness and understand how different factors such as activity, posture, emotions, etc. may cause or aggravate symptoms. She is also a Pilates instructor, marathon runner, and an avid swimmer.
The following is a summary of Irene’s most relevant continuing education and related certifications:
- Physical Therapy Treatment of the Pediatric Patient, 2020: Carina Jones.
- Integrated Model Systems (ISM): Pelvis and Thorax, 2019: Diane Lee education. BC
- Pelvic floor functional ultrasound. 2 courses, 2015, 2018: Ruth Jones, Herman & Wallace
- Visceral mobilization courses VM1, VM2, 2017: Barral Institute, USA
- Dry Needling certification, 2015: Travell & Simons, Spain
- Maitland manual therapy, 2013: Fortema institute, Spain
- Hypopressive Method GAH1, GAH2, 2015: Marcel Caufriez, Spain.
- Stott Pilates Matt and Reformer, 2013: Akrostudio, Spain.
- Somatic Anatomy, 2008-9: Body Mind Centering Institute, USA
- Iyengar yoga training & IYNAUS certification, 2003-4: Iyengar yoga institute of San Francisco
Isha Mody - PT, MS, CES Physical Therapist
Isha Mody earned her Bachelor’s degree in Physical Therapy from Manipal University in India and a Master’s degree in Exercise Science with a focus on Nutrition from Long Island University in Brooklyn.
Isha’s experience includes providing physical therapy at various practices both in New York City and in India. Isha has an expertise in a wide range of orthopedic and neurological impairments including pre and post operative orthopedics, neck and back dysfunction, pediatrics, aquatic physical therapy and pelvic health. She has worked with pre partum women as well as in the preparation for delivery and taught prenatal exercise classes. She has treated women post partum for conditions like incontinence and diastasis recti. Through her time in India, Isha was part of the PT team dedicated to improving outcomes after hip and knee arthroplasties, at one of India’s dedicated joint replacement hospitals.
In her free time, Isha enjoys connecting with nature with her rescue dog, Diane at Prospect Park, watching documentaries, going to Comedy Clubs and exploring NYC’s culturally diverse vegetarian and vegan cuisines. She believes food and nutrition play an integral role in health and wellness and an even bigger role in healing. She also volunteers for a local composting organization every week and believes in living a minimal waste environment conscious lifestyle. She is proficient in 3 Indian languages and is currently learning Spanish.
Continuing Education Coursework
- Functional Applications in Pelvic Rehabilitation: Part A & B
- Introduction to Male and Female Pelvic Pain
- Aquatic Physical Therapy for the Pregnant Client
- Understanding Endometriosis
- Certificate Course in Orthopedic Manual Therapy, India
- Certified in Revolution in Motion, Agoura Hills, CA
- Corrective Exercise Specialist, National Academy of Sports Medicine
Antonio Pontecovi PTA Physical Therapist (Italy), Physical Therapy Assistant (US)
Originally from Italy, Antonio received his Bachelor’s Degree in Physical Therapy from the University of Rome. While in Rome, Antonio had been treating patients with orthopedic, neurologic, cardiologic, and oncologic diagnosis’ at the Fondazione Don Carlo Gnocchi, a renowned Rehabilitation Center in Rome for over eighteen years. He is an expert in Aquatic Physical Therapy having worked in aquatics for many years and is a skilled manual therapist with expertise in the treatment of the TMJ joint. Antonio also worked as a PT with the Italian national rowing team to prepare for the 2004 Olympics in Athens. In 2019, Antonio came to the US and immediately started working in an outpatient Physical Therapy Center in Manhattan. We are excited to have him at Sutton Place Physical and Aquatic Therapy. In His free time, Antonio enjoys running, swimming, biking and watching movies.
Continuing Education Coursework:
- Introduction to the theory and practice of the Feldenkrais method
- Functional sports bandage
- Introduction of the "three teams" method
- TOP postural osteopathic therapy, Philippe Caiazzo
- Treatment of temporomandibular dysfunctions, Mariano Rocabado
- Treatment of the "Pompages" fascia
- Course of Hydrotherapy Mauro Calisti Alvaro Muzzi.
David Holmes - LMT Massage Therapist
David Holmes has been a Licensed Massage Therapist in New York City for over 20 years. David has worked at 5-star spa’s such as The Peninsula Spa, medical practices such as TRU Whole Care, and the American Ballet Theatre (ABT), helping keep their dancers healthy. David has also worked on two of Madonna’s tours and the Complexions dance company massaging the dancers. He specializes in Neuromuscular, Deep Tissue, and Swedish Trigger Point Therapy massage to address flexibility and alleviate pain. David is also trained in Reflexology to reduce stress, help with insomnia, and alleviate digestion issues. In his spare time, David enjoys hiking and snowboarding.
Madelyn Freundlich Pilates Instructor
Madelyn Freundlich is a certified pilates instructor who has taught mat pilates and the pilates reformer for more than five years. She has worked with clients at the Vanderbilt YMCA and Asphalt Green, Upper East Side on the reformer both on a one-to-one basis and in small group classes. She carefully develops reformer sessions for each client based on client goals, strengths, and physical challenges, focusing on safety, alignment, and breath. Madelyn has a diverse fitness background and enjoys blending elements of yoga, barre, and balance work into pilates sessions. Her continuing pilates education has broadened her teaching skills to other Pilates apparatus, including the Wunda Chair, the arc, and the tower. She enjoys working with clients of all ages and physical ability and brings energy and commitment to clients' achieving their health and fitness goals. Madelyn holds master's degrees in social work and public health.
Her professional fitness background, in addition to pilates, includes:
- AFAA Group Fitness Instructor Certification
- AFAA Personal Trainer Certification
- IBBFA Barre Certification Level 1
- IBBFA Prenatal/Postnatal Barre Certification
- YogaWorks Yoga Teacher Certification and E-RYT 200 Yoga Alliance
- Aqua Yoga Teacher Certification
- Livestrong Personal Trainer Certification
- AEA Certified Water Fitness Professional Certification
- PRONatal Fitness Certificate: Prenatal and Postnatal Personal Training
- PRONatal Fitness Certificate: Prenatal and Postnatal Group Exercise
- ACE Advanced Certification Cancer Exercise Specialist
- TRX Certification